The Henry and Stark County Health Department and their First Choice Healthcare Clinic in Kewanee reminds area residents they offer area drivers low cost DOT Physicals. Appointments are available at our Main Office, 110 N. Burr Blvd., Kewanee.
First Choice Healthcare notes that the Department of Transportation requires some drivers to get regular physicals to make sure they can drive safely. If any of the following apply to you, you must get a DOT physical and carry a DOT medical certificate when you drive a commercial vehicle:
• You are paid to operate a motor vehicle that holds nine to 15 passengers; you drive the vehicle more than 75 miles from where you report to work; you operate this vehicle for interstate commerce purposes
• You operate a motor vehicle with a gross combination weight rating, gross vehicle weight, gross vehicle weight rating, or gross combination weight of at least 10,001 pounds; you operate this vehicle for interstate commerce purposes
• You transport hazardous materials in certain quantities
First Choice Healthcare notes, “If you want to comply with federal law, a qualified medical examiner must complete your DOT physical form. Our Nurse Practitioner, Marylou Johnson is a Certified DOT medical examiner.”
DOT Physical participants should expect the examiner to review their health history and ask the participant to list the medications taken on a regular basis. During your DOT physical, the examiner will also do the following:
• Check your pulse and blood pressure
• Perform a vision test
• Observe your general appearance
• Examine your eyes, throat, mouth, and ears
• Listen to your heart and lungs
• Check for spine deformities
• Perform a neurological exam
• Press on your abdomen to check for abnormalities
• Perform a hernia check
In addition, those who are seeing a provider and are on medication for sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiac, anxiety, ADHD/ADD, depression and other mental health issues, and seizures. Participants need to obtain a “Clearance Letter” from the provider of care and bring to their appointment.
Please note appointments for DOT Physical, which are necessary, may be made by contacting the First Choice Healthcare at (309) 852-5272 - Kewanee Office. For more information find us on Facebook at Henry and Stark County Health Departments or Follow Us on Twitter and Instagram.