The Henry and Stark County Health Department and First Choice Healthcare note they have 2nd Covid-19 Bivalent Boosters available for those 65+ years and immunocompromised through their First Choice Healthcare locations in Kewanee and Colona. Covid-19 vaccinations can be obtained on a “Walk-In” basis with no need for an appointment Monday-Friday, from 8am-4pm at the First Choice Healthcare locations in Kewanee, 110 N. Burr Blvd. (309) 852-5272, and in Colona, 103 1st Street (309) 792-4011. The COVID-19 vaccine is currently available at First Choice Healthcare locations and is no cost with most insurance plans or for those uninsured. You must bring proof of ID and insurance, if applicable.
This follows the FDA regulatory action and the CDC’s new Covid-19 vaccine recommendations that allow more flexibility for people at higher risk who want the option of added protection from additional COVID-19 vaccine doses.
These changes include:
• CDC’s new recommendations allow an additional updated (bivalent) vaccine dose for adults ages 65 years and older and additional doses for people who are immuno-compromised. This allows more flexibility for healthcare providers to administer additional doses to immunocompromised patients as needed.
• The FDA recommends waiting at least four months after your most recent bivalent dose to get a repeat dose.
• Monovalent (original) mRNA COVID-19 vaccines will no longer be recommended for use in the United States; as the updated bivalent vaccines are the preferential vaccines.
• CDC recommends that everyone ages 6 years and older receive an updated Bivalent mRNA COVID-19 vaccine, regardless of whether they previously completed their (monovalent) primary series.
• Individuals ages 6 years and older who have already received an updated Bivalent mRNA booster vaccine do not need to take any action unless they are 65 years or older or immunocompromised.
• For young children, multiple doses continue to be recommended and will vary by age, vaccine, and which vaccines were previously received.
We remind residents seeking vaccinations at our Kewanee and Colona locations that appointments are not being taken and pre-registration is not necessary. Simply come to the clinic during the Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm service hours.